Nothing about us without us

 What does ethics mean to me? 

First off, I guess do no harm...but how do you guarantee that? What looks beneficial now may be harmful later. We have many examples of that.

Secondly, I can suggest ethics based on social justice and equity, but I could easily ask whose justice, equity for whom? Certain people can be terrorists or freedom fighters depending on where you stand.

When I was engaged with community research, I tried to cleave to the idea that the participants in the research needed to be involved in the ethical decisions about what could be done, what data could be collected. Which was fine until there happened to be results that did not sit well with the community. Were those results to be discarded? Those particular insights not shared widely? Who owned the data?

So, I am left with thinking/feeling that ethics is very contextual, not without bias and emerges in time and space.

Comments

  1. Hello, you mentioned in the Friday discussion that you have difficulties to operate the graph tool. Please don't hesitate to ask me directly. Note what I added to my Oct 24 post and also to the help map: how to enlarge the map. Sorry this does NOT work in the web demo. You may download the full version which is equally free. To connect distant icons, move one closer and put it back after drawing the line.
    Matthias (x28)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why am I interested in this course/cmooc